Monday, April 28, 2008

Shool Clubs - Got that whole uchi and soto thang going on

I recently joined the Kansai Gaidai Karate Club, and thus far have been having a total blast. At first, there were a few other gaijin with me in the club, but I have since become the last man standing. It's a nice change of pace being the only foreigner for once. Being in the club has given me some insight on the whole uchi and soto business. Certainly, everyone has been extremely nice and friendly from the start, and lately I've become very good friends with everyone, but I'm not treated like a typical Japanese newcomer would be. In fact, a Japanese freshman just joined and gets everyone water and calls everyone by last name-sempai. Anytime I even attempt to help out a little, everyone makes like it's the nicest gesture in the world. Also, everyone insists that I call them by first name. Normally, clubs are pretty strict about coming to practice, but they tell me it's okay for study abroad students to come whenever they can. It's an interesting position to be in, I feel that I'm good friendly terms with the whole club, yet I'm still treated a bit differently than everyone else. I'm definitely not complaining, though.

No comments: